BookClub is an author-led, reader powered platform designed to connect authors to their community of readers through video and audio content. Built with authors and readers in mind, BookClub was created to give authors a space to share more about their books with the people who love them the most - the readers. Through our library of content covering multiple genres, authors will be able to talk about their books over video or live audio, and readers will be able to listen to others discuss books or lead their own book discussions in private or public channels. BookClub gives authors and readers a fresh and entertaining way to have the book discussions they’ll love.
As an early member of the team at BookClub, you will be crafting the technical foundation and building a world-class product. In this role, you will be actively architecting and creating our API. You will be working with Node.js, AWS lambdas, and MongoDB to build a scalable and secure infrastructure. You will also be helping to build best practices and standards to facilitate a growing team.
What you’ll be doing
- Collaborate with the design team to create beautiful and engaging experiences for BookClub users
- Create and implement well-architected front-end components that accelerate development
- Evaluate and choose well-supported libraries that help BookClub ship high-quality and scalable features quickly
- Utilize and build-out the component library for seamless interaction and consistent brand
- Work closely with backend engineers to define user-centric API endpoints
- Mentor new team members and contribute to the overall skill level and abilities of the engineering team
Who we are seeking
- You are a senior frontend developer (6+ years) who has architected and built scalable applications
- You have solid experience translating designs into high quality styled components using CSS or SASS, JSS and JSX, and MaterialUI
- You have experience building responsive interfaces for a variety of screen sizes
- You have experience with accessibility and a desire to create an experience that works for a diverse set of users
- You’re a life-long learner who is always seeking to challenge and expand your skills
- You have startup experience or have the desire to gain startup experience, understanding what good architecture looks like at each stage of a startup
- You have high emotional intelligence and are comfortable sharing your thoughts and ideas with candor and good intent
- Experience with image and video interaction and delivery is a plus
What you can expect from us
We know that the success of our mission depends on the success of our team. While we are early stage and scrappy, we work to provide a high-quality employee experience that sets you up to do your best work.
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits
- The hardware and software you require
- Competitive blend of salary and equity
- Individual autonomy and respect
- Flexible, remote, and family-first work environment
- A learning-first culture that values curiosity and character and strives to enable each individual to show up as their authentic selves
We are mindfully determined to build a team that reflects the diversity of our audience, and as a principle are committed toward amplifying the voice and power of marginalized people and groups. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.